Theatre of the Mind ~ Fresh Bones
1. It's pretty sad when someone puking their guts out makes you think of Season 8.
2. This is what you get when you don't buy the brand name of corn flakes.
3. Yup, that's a lawn jockey, all right. Other than that, I don't get it.
4. If he was aiming for that symbol, he missed.
5. General TWC: Just let me say that this whole episode is worthy of TWC. Mulder is looking fine throughout. I'll try to hit the high points, though. You knew I would.
6. And despite its generally gruesome subject matter, this is a pretty shippy episode too. Lots of little touches and concern. Who'dve thunk it?
7. I think that an episode about the few, the proud (and the dead) ought to have Skinner in it, though!
8. TWC1: Windblown Mulder at the accident tree. Woo hoo!
9. Scully in her lovely red suit-what fond memories to see her in anything but basic black.
10. If you can find that kind of shell in your sandbox, there's no need to go to the beach.
11. TWC2: Mulder (and what's-her-name) walking through the processing center-uh, huh!
12. Chester is quite a cutey.
13. And he noticed Scully was a "pretty lady" much faster than Mulder did.
14. We all *know* that Mulder didn't follow his own advice: "You should always carry protection."
15. There's that guy from "Murder One." Sorry, I didn't like him there either.
16. Awww, hand on small of her back as they leave the Colonel's office.
17. Ew, I didn't really have to see that decomposing dog.
18. Mulder meets with the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
19. TWC3: And he is looking fine in that lighting too. Must be chilly in North Carolina.
20. Educational Moment: The symbol thing is a vever, a "loco-miroir," or mirror of the soul.
21. Another "awww" moment: Mulder steps between Bauvais and Scully when Bauvais tries to put the whammy on her.
22. Please explain to me the scientific nature of the "whammy"? (Okay, I got "Pusher" on in the background.)
23. I don't want to see fuzzy dice hanging from M's rearview mirror. I want baby booties.
24. Why it's a mistake to let Scully drive #1: The guy just came back from the dead, Scully, and you nearly run over him.
25. You don't suppose there's any of that tetrodotoxin in McDonald's fish filets, do you?
26. There's Mulder playing that old zombification phenomenon card again!
27. Dog's name is Wong, thus I am assuming the groundskeepers name is Morgan?
28. It's the second Ray from "Due South"!
29. I can't think of a better description for desecrating gravesites: "uncool." LOL!
30. Scully, Scully, Scully. You've got those lips that close and all you can think about is kissing frogs? Your Prince Charming is right before your eyes!
31. However, I am curious as to why the best frogs are found at the cemetery.
32. Hey, Chester, got milk?
33. Amazing at what this CTP can do: of all the times I've watched this episode, this is the first time I've heard the reference to the title. "Fresh bones. They pay good."
34. TWC4: Mulder in profile, all during the restaurant scene, and sneaking out to the car. Lots and lots of Mulder Moments!
35. Think Private Dunham was a member of the Church of Signs & Wonders?
36. What's New, Pussycat?
37. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
38. Why it's a mistake to let Scully drive #2: She gets injured just putting the key in the ignition.
39. But maybe it's not a mistake after all: Concerned!Mulder! :::sigh:::
40. Hmmm, the 10 of diamonds. Of course, County Road #10 with diamond-shaped signs! What else could it mean?
41. Mulder, you do that voodoo that you do so well!
42. The return of Mr. X! Just in time to explain it all!
43. TWC5: Mulder in the shadows. Leaving just enough to the imagination! Hoo-boy!
44. Scully, it won't heal if you keep picking at it.
45. Was she just going to walk in on him taking a shower? Mighty familiar there, aren't they?
46. TWC6: Mulder whipping it out. (His gun, his gun!)
47. Concerned!Mulder is worried about Scully. Of course, she's "fine". NOT.
48. OT: My palm's been itching the whole time I'm typing this. I think someone put the whammy on me.
49. TWC7: M&S on the couch at the McAlpin residence. They look so fine together in their standard couch seating arrangement.
50. I think Private Kittel is the same guy who tests the MulderCam in Pusher (which is still on in the background). Spooky!
51. Nice to know they put all those candles to use again in "Orison."
52. Our little Scully letting Mulder go off on his own to pursue a suspect? That proves she's *definitely* not fine!
53. When I said it wouldn't heal if you kept picking at it, you didn't believe me.
54. If I had the ability to make Mulder do whatever I wanted, I wouldn't have him writhing on the ground . . . well maybe I would, but not in pain.
55. Whew! Saved by the fuzzy dice metaphor.
56. Scully just had a guy pop out of her hand, but her only thoughts are of Mulder. Awww!
57. Dr. Scully doesn't even need to take a pulse now. She just *knows* they're dead!
58. Chester died in the riot, huh? Let's hear your scientific explanation for that one, Scully.
59. TWC8: Last shot of M&S. Just let me say ooh eee ooh aah aah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
60. Well, Dr. Scully, looks like you should have taken that pulse after all.
61. The scariest thing about this episode is that it was the highest rated of Seasons 1 and 2.
62. On the surface, "Fresh Bones" is just another MOTW, but when you look beyond the voodoo, the vever, the tetrodotoxin, and the zombification phenomenon there's a lot of shippiness going on. Somehow it gives me hope for Season 8; there's always a lot more to an episode than what's written on the page. I guess I just have a Season 8 spoiler buzz tonight and in true Pollyanna fashion, I'm able to see the good in all of them.
63. "When in Rome . . ."
Sending apologies along as usual. I got caught up in "spoiler fever" and couldn't seem to concentrate on the task at hand. Oh well. BearBerg has volunteered to do the TOTM for "Colony" and "End Game," so I take a brief respite from the TOTM arena and eagerly await her musings. I'm sure she will do a wonderful job (and I'm sure she'll be more punctual than I). And maybe she'll like doing the TOTM so much that she'll want to continue! If that happens, this will be the last you see of Polly as the TOTM author. That'll give me more time to figure out and enjoy the new message boards! If not, I'll be back for "Fearful Symmetry." I can't wait, BearBerg. Bring it on!
Amy, enjoy the last 30+ minutes of your birthday; and thanks for giving *us* the wonderful gift of these message boards and all the time, talent, and energy you put into them and the Haven site. I wish we could give you as many gifts as you have given us!