Theatre of the Mind ~ The Walk
1. Tried to kill himself three times in three weeks? I don't think this guy is "Walking on Sunshine."
2. Here comes attempt #4. Suicide by boiling? That's a little extreme, don't you think? You might as well be "Walking on the Sun."
3. Well, try as you might, I'm sorry to say attempt #4 was unsuccessful as well. I think it was "Just a Closer Walk With Thee."
4. Do you see a pattern developing here?
5. Shiban's first X-Files script. Glad he got this one done so he could get started on that masterpiece, "Teso Dos Bichos." (Just remember, Shiban, "I Walk the Line.")
6. Scully, what's with that hair flip thing?
7. Mulder, I don't think you should be taking dental x-rays without that radiation blanket they make you wear. And where exactly are you practicing dentistry, anyway? Are you accepting new patients?
8. No passing notes during class, boys and girls.
9. TWC1: Tonight's first is in the hallway with Capt. Draper and Scully. Woo hoo!
10. I think Mulder has a definite problem with authority figures.
11. Scully coins her "whatever" phrase. It just took her a few episodes to add the "sure" and "fine."
12. Draper obviously doesn't know she's dealing with a Navy brat here. Scully knows protocol and procedure and she ain't buyin' it.
13. Love Mulder watching the tennis match between Draper and Scully. He's thinking, "You go, baby. Do you know how turned on I am right now?"
14. Rappo seems just a little bitter; a man imprisoned in a body that can do little more than serve as a container to hold the hatred for all he feels for all who did this to him. I think everyone in the support group feels just like they're "Walkin' on Broken Glass."
15. Roach? No, that's Henry Weems from "The Goldberg Variation." ("I like baseball too." :::sigh:::)
16. TWC2: Hands on hips Mulder in the General's office.
17. I'm getting the distinct impression that Scully is in charge in this episode. That's fine with me, cause it gives Mulder more time to stand around looking gorgeous.
18. Looks like the General is determined to keep this whole mess under wraps.
19. Military born and bred Scully sticking it to a General? Scully has come a long way, baby!
20. TWC3: Mulder reflected in the bathtub. You knew that was a given, right?
21. Agent Scully offering up her own governmental conspiracy theories. I did say she'd come a long way, didn't I?
22. Was that Rappo I saw out of the corner of my eye in the General's office? "I'm Walkin'."
23. More shadows in the pool . . . creepy effects. Even better effects as Draper is drowned. Did we see what we thought we saw? Guess some people can "Walk on Water."
24. Reflecting!Scully is nice, but sorry to say it just doesn't have the same effect on me as Reflecting!Mulder. Speaking of Mulder, where is he?
25. Obviously, he has been off having his hair restyled. He suddenly has that 1989 "Travelers/Unusual Suspects" doo!
26. I don't meet too many Trevors other than on the X-Files.
27. Good time to send kudos to Director Rob Bowman for getting the maximum scare out of each and every shadow. There have been a few already, and a few more are still to come.
28. Gratefully, after leaving the pool on the way to the General's house Mulder has time to stop and have his hair restyled again. Thank goodness!
29. Scully sees a shadow and, as she is many times in the episode, is one step ahead of Mulder again.
30. TWC4: Mulder checking out the sandbox. I'm pretty sure he's thinking, "Scully, let's take a 'Walk on the Wild Side'."
31. I've been hoping to hear those words, "Get some, get some," for many years now. (Come on in, the gutter's fine!)
32. TWC5: Tonight's Holy Flaming Cow Moment: Mulder listening to the tape in the General's study. Cute smile, cute remark, cute Mulder!
33. Scully's still one step ahead: she's already sent the fingerprints off to NCIC.
34. Ants in the drawer. What is up with these bugs in Season 3 episodes? Pretty soon, they'll be doing a whole episode on cockroaches! (I crack myself up!)
35. S: "We've got him Mulder." Sorry, Scully, I don't think *he* thinks so.
36. Exactly how much sand is in this sandbox, anyway? This looks more like the sand pile at the Public Works Depot (as they prepare to be "Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland."
37. And of course all that sand reminds me . . . "(Remember) walkin' in the sand, (Remember) walkin' hand in hand, (Remember) the night was so exciting, (Remember) smile was so inviting, (Remember) then he touched my cheek, (Remember) with his fingertips, Softly, softly we'd meet with our lips." Yep, I could see this happening in Season 8. Shangri-Las indeed!
38. Well, once you saw the size of that sand dune you kinda knew Trevor was a goner, didn't you?
39. "I'm just the mailman." I just "Walk the Way the Wind Blows."
40. Roach, you'd better "Walk on Faith," cause I don't think Rappo is going to "Walk on By."
41. "Not as worked up as I'm going to be." Whoa! Too bad Mulder's not here to see this. Speaking of Mulder, where is he again?
42. Obviously, he's still not happy with his hair and stopped off to have it redone. Oh no, back to that 1989 look. That's worse than the weedwhacker thing!
43. Mulder shows Scully his dental x-rays. Doesn't rank up there with "come up and see my etchings," but better than "Hey, Scully, let's 'Walk Like an Egyptian'."
44. Astral projection, huh? If I could do that, I would "Walk Right Back," to 1013 this minute and say, guys, I'm tired of "Walking the Floor Over You" and your wacky ideas for Season 8. So "Walk, Don't Run" back to your little computers and get busy on a scenario that will make all of us fans happy. Tell us they've been doing it since that "Walking in Memphis" moment! And by the way, at the end of Season 8 . . . just "Walk Away, Renee." Okay . . . back to the episode.
45. I'm telling you Mulder was in the audio/visual club in high school. An expert on backwards masking? I was waiting to hear "Paul is dead."
46. Seems that Rappo isn't just interested in "The Walk." He wants "The Polka."
47. Luckily, Mulder recognized that it was important to restyle his hair again before visiting Rappo.
48. Well, Agent Mulder, "Walk Right In," take off your jacket, make yourself at home. Did Mulder get a new shirt he was trying to show off?
49. Woo hoo, Mulder, "Walk Like a Man!" That boy ogles your woman, you let him see who's boss. Sit on the bed and get up in his face! (I'm pretty sure you can take him, and if you can't, Scully's right there after all.)
50. Rappo tells Mulder "Don't judge me until you have 'Walked a Mile in My Shoes'." Mulder feels a little guilty for getting so tough, but not for showing off his shirt.
51. TWC6: Whispered, "No sleepwalking."
52. Seems like the General hasn't learned much as he wants to "handle" his son's death and he has handled everything else in this case-with military protocol and procedure.
53. Don't worry, General, M&S are on the way-they were delayed slightly because Mulder had to stop for that hairstyling thing again.
54. Looks like everybody is "Walking After Midnight."
55. Sorry, Rappo, you're going to have to suffer like everyone else. Just blame it on the General's "Walkin', Talkin', Cryin', Barely Beatin' Broken Heart."
56. Dr. Scully diagnoses seizure, Dr. Mulder diagnoses projecting. Who do you think is right?
57. TWC7: Mulder at the elevator with good hair again. Keep this style, Mulder, and you will be "Walking Away a Winner."
58. Just when I thought this episode was beginning to run out of steam, they bring it on! More cool effects.
59. Mulder, what did I just say? Well, I guess maybe the steam is to blame this time. And getting tossed around the room doesn't help either. You must need more mousse.
60. Lieutenant Col. Stans, "Walk This Way."
61. This is not a Scully slam, but where are all the doctors in this hospital? Scully's giving orders like she's on "ER." Regretfully, she has to "stand down" while Stans commits murder.
62. TWC8: Mulder munching on sunflower seeds! We haven't seen those in a while. And just a reminder that these were the X-Files BL (that's "before laptop). Love that Mulder voiceover too, as he wraps it all up for us in a neat little sunflower-seed-shell.
63. But now where's Scully? Probably off having *her* hair done. She deserves it. This episode presented us with a strong Agent Dana Scully with a new level of strength and self-confidence. She has faced down lightning boys and fat-sucking vampires already this season and this episode helps reinforce the fact that we now have two lead characters in this show, not just Mulder and his red-headed sidekick. You two are *truly* partners now, and as such, "You'll Never Walk Alone."
64. And of course, you could see where this one was ending a mile away, couldn't you? "Walking After You." "Tonight I'm tangled in my blanket of clouds, Dreaming aloud, Things just won't do without you, matter of fact, Ohh Ohh Ohhhhh, I'm on your back, I'm on your back, Ohh Ohh Ohhhhh, I'm on your back. If you'd accept surrender, I'll give up some more, Weren't you adored, I cannot be without you, matter of fact, Ohh Ohh Ohhhhh, I'm on your back. If you walk out on me, I'm walking after you. If you walk out on me, I'm walking after you. Another heart is cracked in two, I'm on your back. I cannot be without you, matter of fact, Ohh Ohh Ohhhhh, I'm on your back, I'm on your back. Ohh Ohh Ohhhhh, I'm on your back."
65. Hey, Chris! Are you listening? That pretty much says it all.
66. So that's tonight's TOTM. You're probably thinking that it's pretty insane. "Sometimes the only response to an insane world is insanity."
"I'm Walking a Thin Line" here so apologies, apologies, apologies. In formulating any responses you might have to this TOTM, be sure to "Walk Softly on this Heart of Mine." I'll just be here doin' the "Walk of Life," (unless I'm "Walkin' the Dog," of course).
Polly (who has a strange urge to watch "Walker, Texas Ranger")